Lydd Historic Buildings

blue line

Court Hall

Coronation Square, which is located in the centre of the the town, is home to one of the oldest known and smallest surviving timbered-framed court halls in Kent. Built in 1428 Court Hall has two sixteenth century Royal Coat of Arms on one wall.

Lydd Court Hall

The Beehive

The Beehive is a simple cottage consisting of numbers 6 & 8 and number 10 (The Beehive) High Street in Lydd. There are three cottages, a shop and a house all under one roof span. The Beehive is dated 1715 with the initials CTA. It comprises two storeys painted brick with casement window on the 1st floor and sash or modern windows on the ground floor. The plinth in Nos 6 and 8 are early 19th century.  Two storeys painted brick with modillion eaves cornice. and sash windows with vertical glazing bars. 


The Beehive

There is a contemporary shop front with 2 small openings with  shelf outside, wooden grille inside, door of stable type in 2 sections and flat hood over the whole. There is a tiled roof over the whole block, six bays in all.  Nos 6 to 22 (even) and Nos 26 to 32 (even) form a group.

It is said that The Beehive was originally an inn, known for bare-knuckle fighting.

The Beehive Plaque

blue line

The George Hotel

Located in the High Street in Lydd, the 17th century George Hotel was first built in 1620. In its long history, the George has been used by smuggling gangs, as a holding place for those on trial, as a coaching inn and as a pub and hotel.
The hotel has a reputation for being haunted...
Witnesses have reported strange creaking noises, eerie whispering, slamming doors, loud bangs
and phantom footsteps.

The George Hotel today

George Hotel c1915
The George Hotel c1915

George Hotel 2018
The George Hotel 2018


Located in the High Street next to the George Hotel, the Guildhall dates from the 18th century.

It originally had open arches and provided cover for some of the traders in a market that extended along the High Street to the North side of the church.

Lydd Guildhall c1878
Lydd Guildhall c1878

Lydd Guildhall Today
Guildhall Today

Jack's Court (Jacques Court Farmhouse)

Grade II listed building built in the 18 century located just to the north of Lydd town. 

It is an  L-shaped timber-framed farmhouse with two storeys. The ground floor is red brick above tile-hung. There is a renewed tiled roof with gables at the northeast and south-west ends and three modern casement windows. 


Jack's Court in 2020

Jack's Court in Lydd

blue line

Tourney Hall 

Tourney Hall in Lydd is a Grade 11 listed building built c1710 in the Queen Anne style. It is a private house that comprises a kitchen/breakfast room, a sitting room, a dining room, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, an attic two interconnecting rooms and a cellar.

The property is full of historic associations with Romney Marsh. It contains many old timbers from plundered from shipwrecks, particularly in the roof. There is a bricked up tunnel said to be used by smugglers.

There are no doors or window openings in the south west facing wall because it was thought that the black death was carried on the prevailling south westerly winds.



Tourney Hall c1962
Tourney Hall c1962



Tourney Hall c 2017
Tourney Hall c2017

blue line